Tuesday, January 13, 2009

New Equipment, New Portraits...

I ordered some new off-camera flash accessories just before the new year.
That accomplishes three things:
1. it gets me the new equipment I crave.
2. The new equipment gives my clients better photos.
3. I can deduct the cost from my taxes.
In this case, the stuff I craved were some EZY softboxes from Lastolite. They're 24x24". They fold up very small for transporting. They're light enough to take on location. They're durable, although kind of expensive. They're compatible and made for using with my SB-800 Nikon strobes.
And, they provide soft, wraparound light that complements a person's face.

Rachel Morgan graciously agreed to pose for me again. We did several setups with the lights. The shot above is with one EZY Softbox just off to camera right and fired by pocket wizards. The sun was setting at Boca Ciega Park and I positioned her so that the sunlight coming through the trees was hitting her hair, providing a great, natural hair light that gives dimension, depth and a bit more power to the image.
This second shot is at the same location, same setup, but with a different backround. She's looking directly into the light. The beautiful boardwalks at this park give some depth to the image, as well as a juxtapostion of a beautiful model and the rustic, wooden walkway.

These next two shots were done in the studio.
The one above is shot with a single 24" softbox with an SB 800 flash inside. It's positioned to camera left. A second SB 800 is behind the tri-fold room divider (doing secondary duty as a studio backdrop). It's got a red gel over it.

And, the last shot below is classic glamor lighting for a woman. It's a clamshell setup. There's one EZY softbox high and directly in front of Rachel. There's a second one low and pointing up at her. This image required almost no post-processing. Besides a contrast adjustment, there's not much else done to make this image appear as you see it.


These softboxes are ideal for me. Most of my shooting is done in the field, on location...weddings, events, portrait shoots. I can pack up my portable studio, drive to my shooting location and unpack and set up for the shoot in mere minutes.

Do you need new headshots? Modeling comp cards? Family portraits? Corporate portraits with power? Call me. 727.504.9425

No comments: